22 October 2008

Slow Food's "Salone del Gusto" and "Terra Madre" 08 has arrived!


It's a very exciting time in Torino at the moment that only rolls around every 2 years.
Yes, it's the Slow Food 's Salone del Gusto extravaganza. For those of you not familiar with this movement, it was born here Piedmont in the town of Bra, also famous for it's Cheese festival.
The 62 founding members met in Bra in 1986 to establish the Slow Food organization with the philosophy that sates.
"We believe that everyone has a fundamental right to pleasure and consequently the responsibility to protect the heritage of food, tradition and culture that make this pleasure possible. Our movement is founded upon this concept of eco-gastronomy – a recognition of the strong connections between plate and planet".........read more
"Terra Madre"
opened it's third edition today with Prince Charles making the opening statements along with many other dignitaries from around the globe.
Terra Madre..
" brings together food producers and workers from around the world, giving them the opportunity to discuss the major themes of food production. Together they share and compare the diverse and complex issues that underlie what “high-quality food” means to them: issues of environmental resources and planetary equilibrium, and aspects of taste, worker dignity, and consumer safety."

Click here, here and here for a couple of posts from the 2006 edition.

The event opened today and always make national news here.
Fabrizio and I will be heading over on Saturday. Fabrizio will be helping out our friends the Bernards with their booth,(Pavillion 2 booth#B246) where you will be able to sample and buy their famous "elixirs", most notably "Genepy des Alpes" and the family's well kept secret recipe, "Barathier". Stop by and say hello and naturally, sample the wares!
While Fabrizio will be working hard at the booth, me? Well, I'll be working the pavilions checking out what's on and what's new or not. Sampling whatever strikes my fancy or what I can get close to. Hopefully, I'll have my timing down this year and to not get squeezed out during the afternoon crush and enjoy a bit more of the evening mildly cruising crowds. I'll be adding some updates later on.


See you there!

8 comments:

Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

I may be heading over to Torino myself this weekend - I'll be sure to try and meet up if we do! :)

Bella Baita Marla said...

That would be really fantastic, do let me know and I will try and arrange myself.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Take lots of pictures Marla so I can pretend I'm there with you! I know I would love it!!!

James Higham said...

Mildly cruising crowds sound good.

Bella Baita Marla said...

Ok Marie, I'll just pretend you are along and maybe in the future you will be. One can dream.
As long as the crowds don't cruise right over me, James(;

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a wonderful event. Walk a little, sample a little etc.
btw, Has the format for your blog changed? It looks great. More open.
I've been getting your posts via my reader and haven't been to the site recently.
Have a great weekend. Marla!
Maryann xox

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Wow sounds like loads of fun..love your photos..just look at those tasty peppers!! Can't wait to read about your time there!

Bella Baita Marla said...

Yes it is indeed a fun event Anne and Maryann. It was more like eat a little walk a little and in the end, walk a lot, eat a lot! I went back to a format that I had done a lone time ago, but had lost some of the adjustments I had done and forgotten how to do them again, but went back to it anyway, just the other day. Still not where I want it, but oh well keep at it over time. Thanks Maryann.

Bookmark and Share