Friday, November 02, 2007

Unknown Fruit, Italian Aubergine? No try Calabrian Zucchini

Hello out there. I purchased this in the market the other day out of curiosity. I hadn't really seen one of these before and was intrigued. When I inquired about it I was told that is was a aubergine. Hmmm? And when I asked how to prepare it, I just got a shrug. I was with a group of women, whom were a whole lot less intrigued than I was and several had already wandered on , so I never really found any one to explain and naturally haven't seen it in the market since. I thought it was a chayote but when I started looking around on the internet, It does indeed look like a chayote but with prickly spines, so perhaps it is the family, but I haven't found any thing resembling this
So I am appealing to any of you out there who might know what this is and how to prepare it.


I'd be very grateful and intrigued.
Mille grazie.

Update, a couple of sources call them
Calabrian Zucchini or cucuzze spinusi or zucca centeneria.
This from Michelle of Bleeding Espresso
and originally from Rowena of Rubber Slippers in Italy

Post a Comment
Bookmark and Share