05 October 2007

Sacra San Michele.....at last

They say the 3rd time is the charm,, so the 5th time ,must really make it special, no? Finally after several attempts to have our timing right to visit this imposing monastery and back drop for the cult movie classic, "The Name of the Rose", based on the book by Umberto Ecco, ( See my Amazon selections in the side bar for links to both the book and movie),I finally make it inside with my 3rd sibling. One of our guest this summer had sort of panned it as they said it has been restored from being heavily bombed during WWII. That may be true, but it is truly an imposing structure stuck high on the hillside and overlooking the entrance to the Susa valley and the lakes of Aviligiana. The views are stunning and the monastery interesting , perhaps a bit austere, but then I thought that was part of monastic life. There are several of the Savoy royal family crypts here, making for an interesting tour . Sacra San Michele is also one of 2 symbols of our Province of Turin, with the Fortress of Fenestrelle being the other over in our valley and both are about the same distance from us with the Fortress being slightly closer and yet another reason to come visit our area and have a look around.









3 comments:

The Passionate Palate said...

That is imposing. I didn't know that was the setting for THE NAME OF THE ROSE. I am glad you told me as I love that movie. I will seek this place out when I can.

I just posted an announcement on my blog about a new cooking event that you might be interested in. You are entrenched in so many wonderful traditions that I would love for you to share some as part of the event. Check it out when you can.

Luciano Bove said...

Ciao I used to live by there for 12 years before coming to Paris. I was in Giaveno and later in Coazze..great souvenirs.....

Bella Baita Marla said...

Welcome Passionate Palate! Thank you for the invite. I would very much like to participate in your cooking event and will make sure to participate, because as a baker, I have always felt that baking conjures up special memories. I will be delighted to join in. Hopefully if you find yourself in the vicinity of Sacra San Michele, you will come and visit with us at Bella Baita, as we are just around the mountain from the abbey.

Luciano, thanks for stopping by. Giaveno isn't so far as the crow flies from us, just over the hill and we're a nice part of this part of Italy also. I want to have a closer look at your site(s) as it seems very interesting.

Bookmark and Share